Padre Pio Visits 4th grade!

 






On September 23rd, we celebrated the Feast Day of St. Padre Pio of Pietrelcina. St. Pio is our classroom patron and one of my favorite saints. He has played a huge role in why I became a teacher. About three years ago, I was in the midst of graduating, mid-pandemic, with a bachelor's in Theology, and in Mass Media Marketing. I knew I wanted to work for a non-profit and possibly even the church. I applied to many different positions, however, I was not receiving any offers. I decided I would pray to Saint Pio, and ask him to beg the Lord to bring me work. I didn't know much about him, other than he was incredibly spiritually
 gifted. 

Meanwhile, my mom suggested that I contact the principals of the local Catholic schools and ask to be on the substitute lists. At least I would be making a little money while looking for a job, and I had worked with kids for 5 summers prior. Mrs. Trachsel contacted me within a day and said St. Peter's needed a long-term sub. I went in to meet with her, but had many hesitancies and reservations. She expressed that she had been very worried she wouldn't find someone for the position and had been asking God to send her someone. She took me on a tour of the school, and upon entering the classroom I would teach in, I saw him. On the far wall was a photo of Saint Pio, the patron of the classroom. 

I knew in that moment, that God had answered my prayer for work. Since that day, I have been teaching at St. Peter's and Saint Pio has been the patron of my classroom. In this time, I have learned that teaching is not just a job, but a mission that God called me to. I love encountering the joy of children, seeing them get excited, and building positive relationships with them. This is where I'm called to spread the gospel, and to love as Christ loves me. 

Saint Pio is an amazing example of a life given to Christ. He  was a Capuchin friar in San Giovani Rotondo, Italy. He received the stigmata, the wounds of Christ, in his hands, feet and side. They remained for 50 years. He was known to levitate while celebrating Mass, and he could read the souls of those who came to him for confession (he could tell them their sins). He also suffered through illness for most of his life. Yet, he did not let his suffering turn into resentment of God. Instead, he offered it to God for the salvation of souls. 

You can learn more about his life here: https://www.padrepio.org/about/padre-pios-story/

In order to celebrate with our class, I asked Mr. Veit to dress up as Saint Pio and visit us on the green space. One of Saint Pio's famous quotes is "Pray, hope, and do not worry. Worry is useless; God is merciful and will hear your prayer." 

To make a play on words, I turned it into "Pray, Hope, an Donut Worry," so we could celebrate with donuts! It is my hope that the students will come to know and love Saint Pio too. 









Comments

Popular Posts